Wednesday 19 October 2011

12 Years of Age...

I read a news article earlier from Fox News (here). It rather upset me.

I mean, this kid is 12 years old! 12!? What did his 2 year old brother to so badly that warranted this 12 year old to bash him into a bookshelf twice? He's 2 for goodness sake! It makes me think what goes on in people's minds who have the capability to do this sort of thing to another human being, especially one of such a young age.

Is it fair that the 12 year old murderer received an adult court hearing and an adult sentence? Yes, I believe it is fair. If someone, no matter what their age, performs such an act of violence to another, they should receive the same justice as one another. OK, so people are saying that it's not his fault, it's the mother's. But he was the one of smashed his little brother into the bookshelf, not the mother. The mother has to take some responsibility, I agree. Therefore I agree with the manslaughter charge she has been given; as she really shouldn't have left her 12 year old and 2 year old sons at home alone...but that's my opinion.

What was upsetting the most, for me, was that the mother (when she eventually got home after her son called her) decided to result to Google to find out what happens when a child is unconscious for a few hours. Or what happens in child concussions. I mean, seriously!? My first instinct would be to take him straight to the hospital to seek medical attention. But no, the mother then also decides (or it could have been the 12 year old) to download music, look up popular screen savers and YouTube videos, then finally looks up the hospital. What, were they just waiting for the 2 year old boy to wake up without any sort of treatment from a head injury? It's just ridiculous. It frustrates me how little love and care she seems to possess for her own son. She deserves her sentence, and to be honest, I want her to get 30 years in prison. And her 12 year old son deserves life in prison.

But no, he'll most likely serve his sentence until he's 18, be released and given a new identity and he gets to have a new life. Isn't that how it goes?

No comments:

Post a Comment