Wednesday 12 October 2011

A Battle of Wages

This topic was on Twitter a few weeks back, where people were saying to Michael Owen how footballers earn on obscene amount of money. Personally, I think this is true in respect to the average working person.

I'm not entirely sure how the discussion about a footballer's wage came up, but Michael argued his case very well. Because football is such a well known sport, most don't take into account the other extremely high paid sports. There are (I know the article is 2 years old: http://www.sticksports.com/community/blogs/mute/top-10-highest-paid-sports-553/) 5 sports where, on average, the players/participators earn more than footballers.





I mean, take the list for example. Top class boxers can earn up to or over $50 million a year, whereas a top class footballer will rarely earn $10 million a year. Quite a vast difference, is it not? Yet nearly everyone moans about how much footballers earn! Okay okay, I was one of them. But after reading what Michael said, and seeing the wages of other sports jobs, it's unfair on today's top class footballers to be "got at" for earning such a large amount of money. $50 million a year!? For boxing? Yeah, I know they're putting their brain on the line and their *amazing* looks, but isn't that just a bit too much? Followed by Formula 1, Baseball, American Football and Basketball. All the top class players in those sports earn more than those in football! I want to see people complain about their earnings more often now...because a single baseball player, or formula one driver can earn double, or triple what a top class football will earn. Now that is obscene. And I defend Michael for what he said about footballer's wages in regards to other sports players.

But my honest opinion; sports jobs pay too much anyway. Even cricket.

Is it the wages of footballers that make people moan? Or are they really more annoyed about the fact that most clubs are in millions of pounds of debt? To be honest, I'm more annoyed about the debt issue, seeing as it's a huge problem. There's a BBC article about it and it's pretty fascinating, frankly. It's good to see the FA have been set a deadline to get this debt crisis sorted. Don't get me wrong, I love football, but when you see clubs paying their players vast amount of money, then being in millions of pounds of debt, it can be annoying.

This same situation can be applied to baseball too. The MLB clubs are in even more debt than football clubs; and I think the reason for this is most likely the huge wages the players are on. But that's just my own opinion on the matter.

I know there is no real point to this post, but thought I'd share what I think... I think it boils down to that I wish people wouldn't just moan about football, player's wages and the debt the clubs are in; putting all the pressure on football; when actually there is a lot more going on in the world of debt and sport (baseball for example). Just, in a way, protecting and sticking up for the sport I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment